Our School History | About our School
The History of Scartleigh NS
Scartlea school gets its name from the ancient name of the village.
Scartlea according to some means "grey thicket" or "shrubbery".
Saleen the more modern name translates into 'litte creek' or 'sea inlet'.
Crannogs nearby indicate the position of a pre-historic settlement,
where young people no doubt were schooled in self-defence, fishing and animal care.
The first school was in Saleen vilage. It was where Saleen Church is standing at present.
It was a two-storey, two teacher school. Senior classes were taught downstairs and upstairs junior clases were taught.
Upstairs was accessed via a narrow passage with an outdoor set of steep and dangerous steps.
The rooms had a series of small low windows and were dimly lit.
Each room had a fireplace which provided heat for the long room and heated the
semi-cirular row of milk bottles brought for lunch by the pupils.
Rural electrification had not reached Saleen, so candlelight and paraffin oil lamps were used.
Pupils had to walk three or four miles each day to and from school, sometimes in appaling weather conditions.
Around 1947 the new school in Scartlea Upper was completed and the school was uprooted from the cosy village environment .
The field behind the school, that is now used for leisure was part of a farm.
There was a gate cutting it off. The tarmac that is now all over the schoolyard was once long, wild grass. The toilets were outdoors.
In 1967, Mrs. Mary Condon was employed. When Mrs.Quaid retired Mrs. Veera O'Dulaing took her place.
Veera is Donnacha O'Dulaing, an RTE radio presenter's, wife.
When Veera retired Ms. Triggs replaced her and has just recently retired.
Nowadays, the school is very different, having undergone a recent extension.
Four new classrooms and a new corridor system were built on during the year.
The school Principal is Mr. Peter Gunning and the staff has grown considerably.